Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Review

So here's the final "in review" post for 2013 with the top 5 for the quarter, the year, and all time, plus some bonus commentary on best/worst of the year, and a few hints for 2014.



4TH QUARTER




*(February 2013)

* (September 2013)

*(July 2012)

* (periodically updated)

*(December 2012)



YEAR



* Bodacious Space Pirates (2012): (hopefully not) Final Thoughts (July 2012)

* The Reality of Idol Culture in Japan (February 2013)

* A standard I'm not walking past, and the failure mode of clever. (September 2013)

* (October 2012)

* Say "I Love You" (2012): Final Thoughts with Spoilers (December 2012)



ALL TIME



* Bodacious Space Pirates (2012): (hopefully not) Final Thoughts (July 2012)

* The Reality of Idol Culture in Japan (February 2013)

* Bumper Sticker Feminism (September 2012)

*(March 2012)

* A standard I'm not walking past, and the failure mode of clever. (September 2013)



COMMENTARY



Pirates of the Burley Griffin is supposed to be an anime blog but you couldn't really tell that from the rankings which are dominated by my relatively rare social commentary posts.



I wrote well over 100 posts, mostly anime reviews, this year but the only two 2013 posts to make the charts were A standard I'm not walking past, and the failure mode of clever and The Reality of Idol Culture in Japan. I am slightly disappointed that The Reality of Idol Culture in Japan overtook Bumper Sticker Feminism this year.



A standard I'm not walking past, and the failure mode of clever was my first real internet dust-up. I stand by what I said both in the post and in the comments.



Despite ending over a year ago the searches for a second (and occasionally third) season of Bodacious Space Pirates just keep on coming. That might die away in 2014 once the movie appears but I'm not going to make any bets on that.



The Say "I Love You" posts were surprisingly popular, and this inspired me to take another look at it this year. All I have to add to my original comments is that the show stands up well to rewatching, although the final episode still sucks right up until the last few worthwhile seconds.



I was also surprised by the persistent hits on the music post for Shin Sekai Yori. I really must go back and finish that show sometime.



Overall hits were up about 40% on 2012, but November 2012 remains the record holder.



BEST AND WORST ANIME OF THE YEAR



I don't really go in for best and worst lists. Partly because I don't actually see all that much compared to many anibloggers, and partly because it isn't really my style.



That said the question was asked as part of nomination so I'll take a stab at it again here.



The best complete anime that I saw this year would have been and . The best incomplete are very much and .



The worst anime of the year would still have to be Walkure Romanze, and once again if only because it provided fuel for two very entertaining rants: and .



TWENTY DAYS OF X, THIRTY DAYS OF Y



will be wrapped up shortly after I return to Canberra with , and I'm certainly planning on finishing in 2014 as well.



I haven't decided yet if there'll be another episodic series review in 2014.



To be considered a title has to be at least 10 years old given the spoilers involved, I have to love it enough to be willing to spend approximately 3 hours per episode, and there has to be enough substance for at least 4 meta posts around the episodic posts.



This is a fairly high bar for a title to reach and nothing is springing to mind right now. Feel free to make suggestions in the comments.



WRAPPING IT UP FOR THE YEAR



On that note I think I'll wrap it up for 2013, wish my readers a safe New Year's Eve, and a happy 2014 ahead.[1] Partly due to work/life issues, and partly due to region/zone limits on streaming due to being in Australia.



[2] Work/life issues happened to Thirty Days of Planetes and the inspiration never came back this year.



[3] Or at least think so when I start. In retrospect was NOT one of my brighter ideas.



[4] I usually rewatch the episode several times whilst writing the synopsis, and usually listen to the dub at the same time.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment